Sunday, September 1, 2013

Six Things To Do When Diving With A Loved One

Well, everyone was too busy to do a last minute trip to Haigh yesterday, so Mike and I went alone.  It was a rare chance for us to play Mr. and Mrs. Recreational Diver for a change.
Well, if it isn't Mr. and Mrs. Recreational Diver!
The place was deserted compared to most weekend days we’ve spent at this popular local dive spot, so we were looking forward to scooting over to the “shallow end.”   This side of Haigh Quarry is one that we generally avoid due to low vis and overcrowding.  Preferring the ease of a walk in entry, many of the bigger dive shops like this side for their classes of 8 or more divers.  However, with the difficulty of watching and properly coaching that many learners, there is bound to be some bottom walking, arm flailing, and panicked trips to the surface in this area. Needless to say, the sights that are usually obscured by silting, and I don’t want to be anywhere near all that confusion!

Mike and I planned our dive: a swim to the Flamingo, through the tunnel, over the archeological site and then over the wall to the shallow end.   Mike, being the great navigator he is, took up his compass and I followed.  This is when I was reminded that thing that makes our relationship work and also presents challenges is, the fact that opposites attract. 

Mike is 6’ tall to my 5’ 2”, most of that difference being in leg length.  Therefore, even in his hobbled state, he can out fin me. What seems to him to be a leisurely pace is, to me, a horse race. Give the task of navigating to a long legged diver, and you have an aerobic workout for those following. 

When navigating, especially in water that has only 6-10ft. visibility, the diver needs to focus on the compass and stay on the chosen bearing, however, if you are diving with a buddy, you must also be careful not to lose her.  Truth be told, I could keep up with Mike and follow him puppy-like around the quarry, but while for him, the focus was on the destination, my interest was in the journey.

 For me, diving is about discovery.   In needed to check out what different fish were living in the shallow end.  I wanted to play with the bowling balls near the platforms.  I like to watch the baby fish dart in and out of the weed cover.  I’m an underwater dawdler and a thorn in the fins of a navigator with a mission.

In the end, I think we both enjoyed our dives, though they were interrupted a few times so we could surface and reunite.  The main thing is that I got to see some really cool fish I had not previously seen at Haigh and we were able to return to our platform and the end of our tour without trial and error. 
So, as it is the first of the month, and I know you faithful blog followers are looking for 6 things, here are 6 things to know about diving with a loved one:

Number 1
Plan your dive together with both offering equal input.

Number 2
Be thoughtful of each other while prepping and donning gear so that you are in the best frame of mind for your dive.

Number 3
Remember that each of you have unique strengths and weaknesses, one picking up when the other falters and vice versa.  You are better together than apart.

Number 4
Be sure that the first comments out of your mouth after your dive are about what you enjoyed about being underwater together.

Number 5
If something went wrong, or your buddy disappointed you in some way, discuss it using kind words.

Number 6
When your day of diving is finished, stop somewhere together and have some ice cream.




No comments:

Post a Comment