Sunday, November 17, 2013

What is stopping you?

Since I have my winter and spring trips just about finalized, I am diligently researching where I want to be diving in summer 2014 and winter and spring 2015.  I feel like I live from dive to dive sometimes!   Of course my family, job and other land activities do keep me busy, but I don’t let my busyness get in the way of my favorite leisure activity/stress reliever. While I recognize that not everyone will be as passionate about the sport as I am, I still wonder how it is that other divers aren’t making more of an effort to dive at least often enough to their skills sharp?

Is it lack of gear?  Minimally, every student diver should invest scuba quality mask, fins and snorkel.  When I have a student who does not purchase these basic pieces of gear, or buys a cut rate set, I know that that person will not dive after the course is finished.  I wonder then why they invested the money and time in the course in the first place.  Beyond those items, scuba gear can be rented.  In fact, renting gear can give a diver a good idea of the style gear they prefer, and what feels the best while diving.  If they really like something they’ve rented several times, they can usually purchase the item at a substantial discount compared to new.  In addition, if they buy from a reputable dive shop, they will know what the maintenance record of the item and whether parts are still available for future repairs and maintenance, thus avoiding the hidden pitfalls of eBay or other online “bargains”.

Is it cost of gear?  I know that when people stop in the shop to inquire about diving, they often are shocked at the cost of a full set-up, BC, Reg, wetsuit, etc., but why?  If a person was to get into hunting, for example, they would most likely buy a rifle with a scope for $400-$1000, and at least one box of ammo, $40(or two if they would like to practice before actually going out into the wild).  A blaze orange coat and bibs would go for about $250, not to mention boots, gear for gutting the deer and many other items: all that for a once-a-year activity.  Learning to play a musical instrument is another example.  Instruments can be rented for $35 per month and a student usually pays $45 for a 30 minute lesson weekly, not to mention, music.  The true cost of that pursuit adds quickly!  Don’t even get me started on the cost of golf!   Many worthwhile hobbies require an upfront investment in gear, but scuba is certainly not the most cost intensive.

Is it the cost of outings?  Can’t be!  For a little gas money and $20 a person can have a fun filled day exploring any number of inland quarries in the area.  Lake Michigan is home to a number of famous wrecks that can be explored by even relatively new divers.  If you are used to diving in the ocean, freshwater diving may not seem as exciting, but with a little research on local destinations, a diver can find plenty to keep his interest.  The fun in activities can also come from the people you are with.  Outings with Team Manta are about having laughs, helping one another, sharing ideas and experiences and learning new things.  After the dives, it is about ice cream or a dinner with friends.  Group travel to tropical destinations can be fun, too, without the stress of having to investigate and coordinate the details of getting there, where to stay and who to dive with.

Is it the lack of a dive buddy?  That is another good reason to go with a dive group.  We usually think of a buddy team as being two divers, but it can just as easily be a trio.  In a group, you are very likely to find someone who matches your level of expertise or shares your interests and who knows?  You may find a regular dive buddy. 

Is it lack of time? That is a frequently used excuse, but in reality it does not hold water!  The tropical trips are planned and advertised nearly a year in advance, giving plenty of time to plan vacation and save up money.  Summer outings are published on the Manta Divers web calendar at least in March, of not earlier.  What it takes is for the diver to make a commitment.  Take out a pen and write it down: “I am diving this weekend.” (And this one and this one…) 


When Mike and I were first certified, we invested in gear to give us the freedom to dive when we wanted.  We made a commitment to do at least a full week of diving every year and have been rewarded with some wonderful experiences, and a vastly varied group of friends.  At the time, we were in the dark about all the wonderful diving opportunities right here in our back yard, so I made it my mission as a dive instructor and shop owner to promote both distant and local dive spot.  I do whatever I can to get my divers out there using their skills.  I doubt I will ever be setting around at the home wishing that I had spent less time diving.  Rather, I believe that I will always bemoan the fact that I started diving too late and never got enough dives in!  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment