Sunday, August 11, 2013

I Had The Best Pool Session Yesterday

I just had the best pool session yesterday!  It wasn’t that the students were perfect, on the contrary it was because they were not.

The session started out fine, just me and my two students, ready to start their snorkel swim.  I explained what they were to do: swim 300 yards continuously with mask, fins and snorkel, keeping their faces in the water the entire time. 

The first student started off with what he thought was a good mask and snorkel.  The other student got into the water and told me, eyes big as saucers that she was scared.  I encouraged her to just put her face in the water and breathe from the snorkel for a few minutes to calm down. She tried it for a moment or two and then told me that she just did not think she could do it.  I suggested that she try breathing while she swim slowly and perhaps with other things to think about, she would forget that she did not like to breathe through her mouth, and off she went.  I was a little skeptical, starting to strategize my next step towards getting her through this, but lo and behold she kept going!  In fact, she never had to be reminded to keep her face in the water, even once.  She completed the swim all smiles.

Meanwhile, my other student was stopping every few yards, swimming and checking that the snorkel was out of the water, probably because as part of my briefing, I mentioned that if a person swims too fast, the snorkel can submerge.  When he stopped altogether, he stated that his snorkel was constantly filling with water, but as I watched him swim, the snorkel remained out to f the water.


Thinking that perhaps there was a little leak in the purge at the bottom of the snorkel, I encouraged him to try to breathe out a little more forcefully and perhaps that would help. I offered him my snorkel if that did not work.  He completed the swim, but was clearly disgusted with his purchase. (I later suggested a dive shop I know with expert sales people who would help him get a scuba-worthy set up.)

I called Mike to bring me another mask and a proper snorkel for him to finish the session, although I was impressed that despite his difficulty, he kept right on, determined to complete all the skills.  That determination served him throughout the course of the day.

As the day wore on, there were challenges, and I heard, “I don’t think I can do this!” a little more than I like, but in the end, both students were able to pull themselves together, Stop, Think and Act, and soldier on until all the skills were mastered.

As an instructor, this sort of challenge is most rewarding. It was a test of not only my instruction in the pool, but my facility in helping them apply what they learned in the classroom.  Of course, it helps when the student is taking the course out of personal desire and not because someone else suggested it, but even with a properly motivated student, when there are fears and difficulties, the instructor must become the perfect balance of mentor, coach and cheerleader, and I always throw in a little nurturing “Mama Duck” for good measure.


A good pool session indeed!

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of my last 2 open water dives. I didn't think I could do them, but I did! The right kind of encouragement goes a long way!

    ReplyDelete