Sunday, July 14, 2013

GUEST BLOG: Matt's Open Water Adventure

This week, we have a guest Blogger, Matt Wozniak.  Matt recently earned his open water certification and is now looking forward to some dives on the Great Barrier Reef.  I asked him to share his experience in Manta Divers’ open water course.
Matt, the diver!
What is it like going through the PADI Open Water Diver course and becoming a certified diver?

It was an adventure and a half. From reading the instruction manual to my final open water dive, I was enthralled.

After receiving my manual from the dive shop and a short drive home, I instantly started to read, take notes, and answer all the knowledge reviews in the manual. The reading which is a bit long is probably the most grueling art of the class because the diving isn’t actually tangible yet, but it has to be done. The knowledge you learn from the reading is indispensable and really helped me through the classroom as well as the water. Next came the classroom sessions where the other students and I reviewed what we read and took several quizzes and a final over the entire manual. All this classroom stuff sounded a bit frightening and overwhelming to me at first, but once in the dive shop, those feelings drifted away. The quizzes were not overly difficult, and during the class, I got to breathe through a regulator for the first time and put together a whole scuba unit by myself which allowed me to see the finish line, when I would be a certified diver.

The fun part. The DIVES. My first breath underwater is something I just cannot explain because I did something that the human body wasn’t meant to do, but, yet, there I was in a pool underwater and not drowning. I broke down a limit and discovered a whole new world. 

The confined dives in the pool are almost the same as a class, but it’s just underwater. We went over basic skills in this controlled environment to make sure we understood what we read and went over in class. One student would complete the skill then the next student would perform the same skill, and this went on until every student completed each skill. These dives are a rehearsal for the open water dives.
To Pearl Lake we go!
The open water dives are truly the highlight. My dives were in the pond next to the RecPlex and Pearl Lake. In these dives, you also have to complete similar skills to the one completed in the pool, but it is just so different. There’s sand, seaweed, and fish around you when you’re completing the skills. These dives are real so there’s a sense of danger almost, and I became really excited which elevated my breathing so much that I finished 3 tanks in 3 dives. However, while I was at depth, it was breath-taking. I swam past a couple of boats, an ice cream truck, and a submarine! I got into a staring contest with a fish; the fish won, but I was right in its face!

It’s just a totally different world underwater. And being able to stay down there for an extended period of time with scuba is something everyone has to try once. It is absolutely amazing and absolutely worth it.

Thanks Lisa and Mike for teaching me how to dive safely and how to really experience the underwater world.

Matt Wozniak


P.S. Always go to the bathroom before suiting up!

No comments:

Post a Comment